[Ads-l] Apparent Antedating of "Hopefully" as a Sentence Adverb (Corrected Version of Posting)

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 26 17:18:46 UTC 2018

Here's a doctrinal argument against your reading:

In the New Testament, "hope" generally has a meaning specific to the promise of everlasting life with Christ for the elect (saved).  If one uses "hope" normally and says, "I hope for a good birthday", there is the idea that birthday may be good, or it may not --  the outcome is could go either way.  But in NT usage, for those who have accepted Christ, the outcome is not in doubt -- it is a solid promise.  Thus, Titus 1:1-2:
"(1) Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness— (2) in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time,"

So, for the Christian, "it is to be hoped that we will be in Heaven everlastingly"  is the reading that does not make sense -- it is not "to be hoped", it is known _with certainty_ that "we will be in Heaven everlastingly" (at least, for those who have accepted Him.)  And once in Heaven, the saved will retain forever that hope while in Heaven -- the promise of everlasting life with Christ is good for all eternity, and they will always be "with hope" -- thus "hopefully".