[Ads-l] Word: kidult, noun (October 18, 1948)

Wed Oct 3 06:44:04 UTC 2018

Recently I encountered the blend "kidult". OED has an entry.

[Begin excerpt]
kidult, n. and adj.
slang (orig. and chiefly U.S.). Frequently derogatory.
 A. n.
 a. A television programme, film, or other entertainment intended to
appeal to both children and adults.
b. A habitual viewer of this, spec. an adult with juvenile tastes.
B. adj.
  Designating or pertaining to entertainment of this kind.
[End excerpt]

The first OED citation (for any sense) is from 1960. Here is an
instance from 1948.

Date: October 18, 1948
Newspaper: Lincoln Evening Journal (Lincoln Journal Star)
Newspaper Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Article: Advertisement for a radio program on KFOR broadcasting
"Streamlined Fairy Tales"
Quote Page 5
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/24128824/kidults/
[Begin excerpt]
FUN for Kiddies . . . . . . "Kidults" like them too!
[End excerpt]

WordSpy has an entry with a first citation in 1985. The late citation
may be because of a narrow meaning.
https://wordspy.com/index.php?word=kidult
[Begin excerpt]
kidult
n. A middle-aged person who continues to participate in and enjoy youth culture.
[End excerpt]

I encountered "kidult" in an essay about the cultural marginalization
of the literary novel.