[Ads-l] Pseudo-Riddle: When is a mouse if it spins? Because the higher it gets the fewer

Sun Oct 7 01:53:16 UTC 2018

The Quote Investigator entry on this topic is now available. Feedback welcome.

When Is a Mouse If It Spins? Because the Higher It Gets the Fewer
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/10/04/mouse-spins/

Garson

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 5:39 PM ADSGarson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nigel Rees's Newsletter of July 2018 discussed the following confusing
> pseudo-riddle:
>
> Why is a mouse when it spins?
> The higher, the fewer.
>
> Rees indicated that his correspondents remembered "teasing parents in
> the 1920s and 30s" sharing this brain tickler. Rees's current
> Newsletter of October 2018 contains some excellent citations located
> by researcher Dennis Lien who traced a version of the pseudo-riddle
> back to 1897.
>
> Building on this work, I located a story by Robert Overton containing
> the following nonsensical conundrum:
>
> When is a mouse if it spins?
> Because the higher it gets the fewer.
>
> Overton's tale appeared in a collection published in 1893, but a
> newspaper printed it in December 1892.
>
> I conjecture that Overton originated this pseudo-riddle, and it
> evolved over time. The protagonist of the story who is named Harehead
> hears the pseudo-riddle from a prankster named Smoogleslush. Harehead
> is unable to comprehend the question and answer. Eventually he is
> driven insane, and is sent to an asylum referred to as Colney Hatch.
> Below is the beginning of the story:
>
> Year: 1893
> Book: Ten Minutes: Holiday Yarns and Recitations
> Author: Robert Overton
> Publisher: Dean and Son, London
e awful