[Ads-l] OED quarterly updates

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 8 04:35:13 UTC 2018

The most recent updates include a lot of entries derived from ass, bum,
butt, and the like.

Included is "bums in seats" (1978), but missing is "butts in seats".

_Corbin [KY] Times-Tribune_ 23 Oct 1970 p 2 col 1

" "The object of the game is to put butts in the seats," said Cousy."

Evanston IL _Daily Northwestern_ 7 Oct 1971 p 8 col 2

"How do you get the butts in the seats?"

And also missing is "Asscrackistan"

_Rolling Stone_ 25 Jul 2002, quoted in _Slug & Lettuce_ Summer 2003, p 2
col 2

"Now while the reporting in Rolling Stone is dodgy, and superficial at
best, this article, "Horny and Heavily Armed" (issue 901, July 25, 2002)
was great because it portrayed military men as exactly what they are.
In this article, the journalist Even Wright, joins an army platoon in
garrison based in a country they call "Ass-crack-istan." "

https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=2814&context=as220_root

_Prisoner Express_ Spring 2010 p. 16 col 1

"Let me especially extend my apologies to the anonymous government
employees whose brilliant idea to set this man to killing his fellow
Arabs in Asscrackistan caused him to instead begin murdering the killers
he was training with."

https://prisonerexpress.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/2010_1_Spring.pdf

"Unass" (to get people to get off their butts) is not included, either.

_Small Arms Defense Journal_ Jan 2016  p 104 col 1
"Defilade, enfilade, grazing fire, plunging fire, and suppressive fire
on assault or effective cover for your platoon to unass an AO gone bad."

http://machinegunarmory.com/MGAMilSite/Publications/SMDJ_vol8_no1_JANUARY_2016104-107.pdf

_The Eddy Line_ Mar 2001 p 17 col 2

"Footage includes Clint Rinehart demonstrating how to unass a kayak and
swim from the hole below Left Crack and into Middle Crack's hole at 2.4
feet."

http://www.gapaddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/el200103.pdf

_The Intake_ Sum 2011 p. 32

"He wrote back that because he didn't have to "unass" the bird, it
didn't fit there either."

https://supersabresociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Issue-16-Summer-2006.pdf

("Unass" is older than this; I have heard it in use verbally since the
mid-1990s.)

---