[Ads-l] Request help tracing Dorothy L. Sayers quote: As years come in and years go out / I totter toward the tomb, / still caring less and less about / Who goes to bed with whom

Mon Oct 8 05:50:01 UTC 2018

Dave Hause wrote:
> The antedating/sourcing thing isn't my interest but could she have
> been rather proud of the verse and used several versions at
> different times? Maybe there isn't any "definitive" version.

Yes, sometimes the creator of a saying concocts several versions. For
example, Grant Allen was so enamored with the maxim that schooling
interfered with education that he presented it in an essay and then
gave distinct variants within at least three of his novels. The four
works were published in: 1894, 1895, 1896, and 1899. The Quote
investigator entry on the topic is available here:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/09/25/schooling-vs-education/

For the poem attributed to Sayers, the goal is to collect different
versions together with Sayers's comments (and the comments of others).
I typically present the results chronologically, but the creator may
prefer a version that emerged after the initial instance.

Garson