[Ads-l] More on "womxn" from BBC news

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 11 00:05:13 UTC 2018

Leaving aside the mockery, there’s the observation that “womxn” is (sometimes? often?) pronounced to rhyme not with “Nixon” and “vixen” but with “kinks” and “hi-jinx”:

“...I've heard some pronounce it 'wo-minx’”, Dr Bradbury-Rance says.

If so, neat metathesis, right up there with Favre /farv/ and pisketti.

LH