[Ads-l] "theatre"/"theater" rhyming with "heater"

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Oct 11 02:57:24 UTC 2018

This may be a case of Recency/Frequency Illusion, but I have been
hearing several podcasters and maybe radio reporters pronounce "theatre"
with just two syllables, so that it rhymes with "heater". At first I
assumed that I was hearing a pronunciation with a really reduced schwa
syllable, and that if the speakers were to speak the word slowly, it
would be audible. But now I've heard enough examples that I'm beginning
to wonder if the pronunciation is as intended. I don't see this
pronunciation listed on m-w.com. Have any of you heard it, or said it?

A search of the ADS archives brings up a lot of posts about something
called "The African Theatre," but nothing on this as far as I've been
able to tell.

A search of alt.usage.english, I'm disappointed to find out, is now much
more difficult because the group has become flooded with irrelevant,
trolly, inflammatory posts that are probably part of someone's info
warfare campaign.

Neal