[Ads-l] Bugs Bunny coins "Nimrod"?

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 12 17:10:58 UTC 2018

> I updated the wordorigins.org page on "nimrod" several months ago:
http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/more/2195/

Not having re-watched the Bugs/Daffy/Elmer as Nimrod 'toons (yet!):
http://www.warnercompanion.com/eowbcc-e.html

I agree with the "It was only Daffy's line", as "our little nimrod" sounds
more like him - Bugs wouldn't be so erudite. I think what happened was
that, considering the audience, the "Biblical great hunter Nimrod"
connection wouldn't arise, but in all the quotes from adults, right up
through Tom Clancy (who probably knows his Bible characters), it seems that
"nimrod" is just being used as a fancy name for hunter; it's not being used
as connoting "moron" but that it being used ironically to compare the
idiocy of what their doing to actions of a skilled hunter, Nimrod himself
even.  I don't see that Washington Irving was trying carve out a class of
hunter who behave stupidly and then naming them "nimrods".

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk