[Ads-l] Verb or typo?

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 15 14:49:50 UTC 2018

Wondering whether there were other verbs like sutabaru (to Starbucks, probably out of fashion now), I recently asked an acquaintance about nonce verbs in Japanese, and he asked around and said Japanese people regularly create them by adding the -ru verb suffix to a noun.

As to “to grocery”, it seems the word has some currency.

1. to go grocery shopping

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a66720760/anyone-up-for-a-cleaning-thread <https://community.babycenter.com/post/a66720760/anyone-up-for-a-cleaning-thread>
I may old the dishwasher, but that's a big maybe. I groceried today. That's more than enough.

https://www.toronto.com/opinion-story/1369861-here-s-to-life-and-the-angels-in-our-lives/ <https://www.toronto.com/opinion-story/1369861-here-s-to-life-and-the-angels-in-our-lives/>
I was met at the airport with hugs, wined and dined, groceried, (my spell check tells me there is no such word, but you know what I mean) and plunked, along with my bags, safely into my warmed-up house.

https://pourhouse.wordpress.com/tag/san-marzano-tomatoes/ <https://pourhouse.wordpress.com/tag/san-marzano-tomatoes/>
Well, I had the best of intentions.  I was all groceried up and ready to tell you all about a certain pepperoni sauce heard ’round the world, but then Sunday happened.

http://www.gloucestercitynews.net/clearysnotebook/2018/06/dawn-watsons-just-sayin-check-this-out-cnbnewsnet.html <http://www.gloucestercitynews.net/clearysnotebook/2018/06/dawn-watsons-just-sayin-check-this-out-cnbnewsnet.html>
I fumble through my purse until I find a card that works, and end up slinking out of the store, humbled, ashamed, but groceried, nonetheless.

http://oursalon.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=6524927%3ABlogPost%3A244351&commentId=6524927%3AComment%3A244435 <http://oursalon.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=6524927:BlogPost:244351&commentId=6524927:Comment:244435>
There's a streak of brutal weather coming through so we've groceried up.

2. to have grocery stores

https://finance-commerce.com/2014/03/making-room-for-hy-vee-in-metro/ <https://finance-commerce.com/2014/03/making-room-for-hy-vee-in-metro/>
As the Iowa-based supermarket chain prepares to expand into the Twin Cities, some local market watchers wonder if the metro area is on its way to being “over-groceried.”

http://www.city-data.com/forum/urban-planning/2658947-grocery-stores-leaving-inner-city-neighborhoods-3.html <http://www.city-data.com/forum/urban-planning/2658947-grocery-stores-leaving-inner-city-neighborhoods-3.html>
North Oakland where I live is "over groceried" to make up a new word. I literally have 10 actual grocery stores in my 3 mile radius in the city of Oakland.

3. Nonce
http://www.queenoffree.net/2009/05/grocery-101/ <http://www.queenoffree.net/2009/05/grocery-101/>
If your answer is yes, then you my friend, have been groceried.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA