[Ads-l] Verb or typo?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 15 15:57:40 UTC 2018

> On Oct 15, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I can recall a time when it was considered very weird to say, "the way to
> parent.”

“Parent, v.” was a kind of back-formation from the existing gerund “parenting”.  Around the same time as “How to Parent” there was the spinoff verb “to father”.  Books on “How to Father” coming out at that time would have been located on a different shelf in the bookstore from where they would have been found (if at all) in earlier decades.