[Ads-l] cut the cards (UNCLASSIFIED)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 17 19:53:32 UTC 2018

A humorous story from 1885 makes a similar point about always cutting cards:

>From the Jeffersonian Gazette (Lawrence, Kansas), Decmeber 31, 1885, page 3 (newspapers.com):

A Hard Game to Sit down To.
Eastern Man (out West) - Do you play a gentleman's game of poker here?
Western Man - What's a gent's game, stranger?
Eastern Man - Taking a gentleman's word for what he's got and omitting to cut the cards.
Western Man - Wall, I don't take a gent's word in these parts, an' as for cuttin', stranger, you kin do as you like, I most allers shoots.  Will you jine us?
Eastern Man - N'n'not to-day. - N. Y. Sun.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:02 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: cut the cards (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

"The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs" (pg.34) has an entry pointing to
the Mr. Dooley citation mentioned by Bill.

[Begin excerpt]
Trust everyone (all men), but cut the cards.

1900 The saying passed into oral tradition as a proverb from Finley
Peter Dunne=E2=80=99s Mr. Dooley=E2=80=99s Philosophy (in a list of =E2=80=
=9Ccasual
observations=E2=80=9D): =E2=80=9CTrust ivrybody=E2=80=94but cut th=E2=80=99=
 ca-ards=E2=80=9D=E2=80=94unless Mr.
Dooley=E2=80=99s dialect aphorism was itself an adaptation of an existing
proverb. RHDP 342. Cf. =E2=80=9Ctrust but verify=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9CTrus=
t god, but lock
your door.=E2=80=9D
[End excerpt]

Here are three cites that only provide partial matches.

In the following 1888 citation the phrase "must cut the cards
occasionally" is used figuratively within a maxim that did not become
popular.