[Ads-l] the bee's knees (1920)

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Oct 19 23:31:49 UTC 2018

Here’s further evidence that “bee[‘]s knees” was a more or less established term before it came to be widely used as a superlative.  This is from the Washington (Iowa) Democrat, Aug. 20, 1919 (NewspaperArchive), citing the Grinnell Register:

“The Register doesn’t feel like dignifying this article by putting it in the editorial column, but it wishes to say, for the benefit of local wits, that this office doesn’t do a retail business in oil of bumble feathers, pickled bees knees, left hand monkey wrenches, or frosted rabbit tracks.  The number of kids that have stopped the Register man in the past few days looking for these novelties is becoming somewhat annoying.—Grinnell Register.”

John Baker

From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Friday 19 October 2018 4:41 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: the bee's knees (1920)

Chronicling America turns up numerous references to "bee's knees" (but not
"*the* bee's knees") as far back as 1902, usually as a supposed gourmet
dish - "bee's knees and petunia sauce" shows up early and more than once.
Here's a late example that shows "bee's knees" were still a matter of
culinary interest 14 years later:

1916 South Bend News-Times (Aug. 2) 4: Strawberry sandwiches, peanut
cookies, toasted marshmallows, and other airy-fairy dishes which suggest
the "bee's knees and gnat's knuckles" of burlesque stage memory.

JL