[Ads-l] [EEMSG-SPAM: Suspect][Non-DoD Source] pooched (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 23 21:05:05 UTC 2018

Is there any reasonable speculation on the origin of the expression?  Was (metaphorical) “fuck the dog” already in widespread use before “screw the pooch” arose?  Is it clear what prompted it?  It strikes me as being analogous in some ways to “jump the shark”, but that one has a straightforward origin story.  Presumably there’s no TV episode we can blame for this one.

LH