[Ads-l] _to lose one's hair_ Beatles Don't Pass me by

Wed Oct 24 18:04:03 UTC 2018

The phrase "keep your hair on" has a long history and seems to mean
"keep your composure". Perhaps "you lost your hair" meant "you lost
your composure" or "you lost your temper".

Year: 1889
Title: A Dictionary of Slang, Jargon & Cant
Compiler and Editor: Albert Barrère and ?Charles G. Leland
Publisher: Printed for Subscribers Only
Quote Page 442

[Begin excerpt]
Hair (common) "keep your hair on," do not be excited, keep your
temper; varied to "keep your shirt on."

With the most perfect good temper the new-comer answered the
expostulations of the fat woman with a "Keep yer hair on,
Lizer."--Sporting Times.
[End excerpt]

Garson