[Ads-l] _to lose one's hair_ Beatles Don't Pass me by

Wed Oct 24 21:31:17 UTC 2018

Thanks for your responses. I misunderstood the playfulness of Jim
Parish's contrasting remark.

The following excerpt circa 1954 seems to contain a direct claim that
"to lose your hair" means "to be angry" in colloquial speech.

Year: 1954 (Snippet shows volume does contain a 1954 issue)
Periodical: Linguists' Club
Periodical: Linguist
Volume 16
Page 147
Database: Google Books Snippet View; must be verified with hardcopy or scans

[Begin excerpt]
. . . also has various uses — all connected with the idea of loss,
deprivation or defeat, e.g. "to lose your temper," "to lose your
place," "to lose your hair " (coll., "to be angry"), "to lose your
way," "to lose the game.'" etc.
[End excerpt]

Garson