[Ads-l] Adage: Writing well is the best revenge

Fri Oct 26 20:51:25 UTC 2018

An inquiry about the saying in the subject line was sent to be by Mary
Schmich, Pulitzer-Prize-winning columnist of the Chicago Tribune. I
just posted an article on the topic here:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/10/26/revenge/

I located a book review by Alix Nelson in 1976 containing the
expression, and evidence that acclaimed mystery writer Ross Macdonald
used the saying in a book dedication he wrote in 1976.

Yet, 1976 seems rather late to me. Perhaps a list member can find
earlier evidence.

NanoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is arriving soon. November is
a month of writerly revenge. Computer printer ink is most delicious
when consumed cold, or something.

Garson