[Ads-l] picker

Sun Oct 28 18:00:34 UTC 2018

The OED does not have specialized citations for antique pickers or
garbage pickers (although it does list rag-pickers). The pertinent
sense in the OED is more general.

[Begin excerpt]
picker, n.1
6. A person who picks out, chooses, or selects.
1778   W. Pryce Min. Cornubiensis 234   Women and children sit to pick
out the good stones of Ore, and are from thence called Pickers.
1811   J. Farey Gen. View Agric. Derbyshire I. 373   Women, called
Pickers,..pick out the clean pieces of Ore, and put them into the
Ore-whisket.
[End excerpt]

Below is the first citation for rag-picker.

[Begin excerpt]
A rag-picker; a person who picks through rubbish in order to salvage scraps.
1884   Cassell's Family Mag. Feb. 156/2   The pickers, who are mostly
Italians, gather £150,000 worth [of rags] yearly in the streets and
roads.
[End excerpt]

Garson