[Ads-l] elaborate wordplay

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 31 02:36:17 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 6:23 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hand-lettered protest sign seen in Pittsburgh (MSNBC today):
>
> "SUPER CALLOUS FRAGILE RACIST SEXIST NAZI POTUS"
>
> 53,000 raw Googlits, the earliest apparently from January, 2017.
>
> You can even buy the shirt.

There are lots of variations on this theme, all going back to Randy
Rainbow's video of Sep. 28, 2016, spoofing the first Trump-Clinton debate
(in which Trump said "I say that not in a braggadocious way..."). To the
tune of the "Mary Poppins" song, Randy sings, "super callous fragile
egocentric braggadocious" and "super careless, fragile ego,
extra-braggadocious."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldfF6chin5s

That inspired "super callous fascist racist extra braggadocious" (as in
this video from Oct. 9, 2016):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEcemf5bNiA

That version also appeared on signs at the Women's March of Jan. 2017,
sometimes with "fragile" instead of "fascist."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPilgRMB_2P/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPil0PlF466/