[Ads-l] Don't Tell a Lie About Me (&c.

Wed Oct 31 20:56:35 UTC 2018

I see that YBQ credits Adlai Stevenson in 1951 for the idea "Don't tell a
lie about me, and I won't tell the truth about you", in his case, a
challenge addressed to the Republicans.

My invaluable local radio station, WHRW, 950 -- don't try to get it if you
live more than 40 miles from Poughkeepsie -- has just played a record made
by the Ink Spots in 1943: Don't Tell a Lie About Me, Dear (And I Won't Tell
the Truth About You)

GAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6K6wNoORoc

--
George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851