[Ads-l] gig = 'jig'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 9 15:46:14 UTC 2018

In the other direction, there are a number of hits for “the jig economy”, but a quick glance suggests that most if not all of them are puns (band names, reviews of Riverdance, self-descriptions of woodworkers, etc.).  I vaguely recall being under the misapprehension at one time that the actor Gig Young (whose birth name was Byron Barr before he renamed himself after a character he played in one of his earlier movies) pronounced his name /dZIg/, but I see that that was indeed a misapprehension, since he was /gIg/ all along.  He ended his and his (fifth) wife’s lives in a murder-suicide, at which point the Gig was up.  (Sorry.)