[Ads-l] choke up =? emotional

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 11 06:12:08 UTC 2018

I pasted it in from this thread. The video you are referring to is of Sam Bailey at her X Factor audition (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoXTQ_h4uhs), which was in the initial email in the thread. My apologies for the confusion. BB

> On 10 Sep 2018, at 13:48, Mark Mandel <Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> This is bizarre. My second paragraph below— at the bottom of this email,
> highlighted in yellow— has nothing to do with the video being referred to.
> I have NFI ("No idea whatsoever, Your Honor") how it got in there. Maybe it
> was still on my clipboard and I accidentally pasted it. With reference to
> my .sig line there, I'm pretty sure no other drug was involved. Lack of
> sleep, quite possibly.
>
> Mark Mandel
>

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 2:23 PM Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at gmail.com <mailto:mail.barretts at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>> Here is Naomi Osaka saying “Your question making me emotional” (
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHP603v4qo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHP603v4qo> <
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHP603v4qo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHP603v4qo>>, 8:50) after which she has
>> to pause in her response several times to stifle tears.
>>
>> Looking back over this thread (not all emails quoted below), it seems that
>> “emotional” is used primarily to refer to situations where you are choked
>> up (“verklempt" as Ben Zimmer pointed out in this thread), but not overcome
>> with other emotions such as awe, gratitude, horror, resentment, shyness or
>> surprise, to name a few from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion> <
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion>>.
>>
>> M-W meaning three with “emotional sermon” might go beyond the scope of
>> verklempt, but it seems unlikely that “emotional” can refer to simply any
>> emotion.
>>
>> Benjamin Barrett
>> Formerly of Seattle, WA
>>
>>> On 10 Sep 2017, at 12:56, Chris Waigl <chris at LASCRIBE.NET> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you want adjectives, I use words like weepy or teary (usually with a
>>> qualifier like "all"), informally; though more often I'd use the
>>> corresponding verb.
>>>
>>> On the original question, I do think that the adjective emotional has
>>> different senses in the examples. I'm actually quite fine with how the
>>> online version of M-W breaks it down in four senses:
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> 1:  of or relating to emotion -- an emotional disorder
>>> 2:  dominated by or prone to emotion -- an emotional person
>>> 3:  appealing to or arousing emotion -- an emotional sermon