[Ads-l] Total silence - "hear a frog piss on cotton"

Wed Sep 12 16:09:18 UTC 2018

There's some evidence that instances of the phrase were employed by
Charlie Parker, Melvin Van Peebles, and Amarillo Slim.

Below is the earliest instance I found during a quick search.
There is a snippet match in a 1968 edition (which must be verified
with hardcopy).
There is also a match in a 2009 reprint edition that is visible via
Google Preview.

Title: Listen to the Lambs
Author: Johnny Otis
Quote Page 172 in 1968 edition according to Google Snippet
Quote Page 158 in 2009 edition via Google Preview
Publisher: 2009 edition from University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis
Publisher: 1968 edition from W. W. Norton & Company, New York

[Begin excerpt]
I introduced her to Chick, and John Truehart got his guitar. The cats
were making a hell of a racket with their card game, but by the time
Ella got through three or four bars of the old song 'Judy,' you could
hear a mouse pissin' on cotton!"

I plopped an empty pint of I. W. Harper into the can.
[End excerpt]

Garson