[Ads-l] Total silence - "hear a frog piss on cotton"

Page, Ryan Ryan.Page at AMERICO.COM
Wed Sep 12 16:26:58 UTC 2018

I bet someone substituted a frog for a mouse since people are more used to frogs peeing than mice. Whenever you pick up a frog, the first thing it does is pee in your hand. Just a thought.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ADSGarson O'Toole
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:09 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Total silence - "hear a frog piss on cotton"

There's some evidence that instances of the phrase were employed by Charlie Parker, Melvin Van Peebles, and Amarillo Slim.

Below is the earliest instance I found during a quick search.
There is a snippet match in a 1968 edition (which must be verified with hardcopy).
There is also a match in a 2009 reprint edition that is visible via Google Preview.

Title: Listen to the Lambs