[Ads-l] New to me: a saw

Sat Sep 15 02:18:23 UTC 2018

Below is a proverb containing the words "bought" and "taught" that was
circulating by 1678. Its meaning is not clear to me.

Year: 1678
Title: A collection of English proverbs digested into a convenient
method for the speedy finding any one upon occasion: with short
annotations: whereunto are added local proverbs with their
explications, old proverbial rhythmes, less known or exotick
proverbial sentences, and Scottish proverbs
Author: John Ray (1627-1705)
Publication info: Cambridge [Cambridgeshire]: Printed by John Hayes
..., for W. Morden, 1678.
Database: Early English Books Online

[Begin excerpt]
- Good wits jump.
- Wit once bought, is worth twice taught.
- A wonder lasts but nine days.
- A wooll-seller knows a wooll-buyer. Yorksh.
- A word is enough to the wise.
[End excerpt]

Garson