[Ads-l] Kavanaugh yearbook

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 28 14:48:42 UTC 2018

O. Henry's story refers in part to the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05.
Coverage introduced Americans to many long and unfamiliar Russian names
ending in "-ski."

That may have been the suffix's occasion.

The comparable "buttinksy" is from the same period.

JL