[Ads-l] Bleaching revisited

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 28 18:36:16 UTC 2018

Senator Chris Murphy (D-Conn) writes to me and his other constituents today:

What Dr. Ford did yesterday was nothing short of heroic. She was composed. She was credible. She was focused on telling the truth.

And for the life of me, I simply cannot fathom how anyone could watch her testimony and want to continue rushing forward through this process without a full investigation. We are talking about a lifetime appointment — a decision that will weigh heavily on all of our lives for decades. This isn’t a trial. It’s a job interview. And in my view, the only reason to take a vote before a thorough investigation is to remain purposefully ignorant of the truth.

So I will watch the Judiciary Committee vote closely today.

And if Brett Kavanaugh gets through, or if he comes to vote before the full Senate without getting through, I am going to fight against his confirmation with every ounce of energy I can muster. Because at an absolute minimum, we deserve a much more fulsome investigation into this incident if he’s to be confirmed to serve on the highest court in the land.

Some of us (including, I suspect, Sen. Murphy) might regard yesterday’s investigation as having been about as fulsome, in my dictionary’s sense of the adjective, as it gets.

LH