[Ads-l] A newish construction and a newish euphemism

Thu Apr 4 20:29:14 UTC 2019

Thanks for your response LH.

Below is a joke that relies on a displacement that, I think, is in
some ways analogous. The original target phrase of this discussion
thread is:
They cheated their children’s way into college.

The more common expression (with a different meaning) is:
The children cheated their way into college.

Consider this comical expression:
The father worked his son's way through college.

The more common expression (with a different meaning) is:
The son worked his way through college.

Here is the joke I found in 1925. The phrasing is different, but the
key idea is similar.

Newspaper: The Ottawa Campus
Newspaper Location: Ottawa, Kansas