[Ads-l] YouTubery: "I guess you never heard of a _wheelbarrel_."

Sun Apr 21 09:36:17 UTC 2019

The prescriptivists have the upper hand over the descriptivists in the
world of "wheelbarrows" and "wheelbarrels". The word "wheelbarrel" is
currently rejected as a mistake instead of being embraced as a
variant.

A sale conducted in  Cheshire, England in 1856 listed both
"wheelbarrels, and wheelbarrows". Perhaps the two terms referred to
distinct items at that time and place. Alternatively, the seller
wanted to connect with buyers by listing synonyms.

Date: March 1, 1856
Publication: Cheshire Observer
Location: Chester, Cheshire, England
Article: Sale by Mr. George Felton
Quote Page 2, Column 5
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
A great number of harrows, iron ploughs of the best make; long carts,
tumbrel carts, splendid new wagon, first rate water carts,
wheelbarrels, and wheelbarrows; a large quantity of gear of all
descriptions; two sets of handsomely brassmounted ride-and-drive
carriage harness, saddles, bridles, cloths, &c.; . . .
[End excerpt]

Here is a fun citation from 1856 describing a politician who may be
required to "wheel a barrel of apples on a wheel-barrow".