[Ads-l] Antedating of "How Do You Like Them Apples?"

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Aug 7 01:35:22 UTC 2019

> On Aug 6, 2019, at 3:26 PM, Baker, John <JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
>
> Arnold Zwicky has a discussion of this rhetorical question on his blog today, https://arnoldzwicky.org/2019/08/06/gloating-over-them-apples/, and it reminded me that I had looked at its origin some years ago.  I decided to take another look....

many thanks to John (and now also Peter Reitan) for these comments. i'd intended to post a link to my blog posting on ADS-L (hoping that the experts in phrase and quotes histories -- the hounds of ADS-L -- would be able to shed some light on that side of the topic), but i've been sick and just barely eking out the occasional posting, so i didn't get around to notifying ADS-L until late this afternoon.  and now John and Peter have done the work for me.

i'll transfer their postings here to comments on my blog, so that they'll get some audience outside of ADS-L.

again, many thanks.

arnold