[Ads-l] Further Possible Antedating of "Sexism"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 11 23:01:04 UTC 2019

For the sense of the word "sexism" meaning discrimination or prejudice based on gender, the OED has several pre-1968 citations, but all of these are uncertain in their signification.  Here is an earlier definite (albeit quirky) citation:

1964 _Chippewa Herald-Telegram_ 30 Mar. 2/5 (Newspapers.com)  If it is "evil" to believe that one race is superior to another, (Racism), is it equally "evil" for me to believe that the female sex is superior to the male sex?  Does that make me a "Sexist" and a promoter of "Sexism".

Fred Shapiro