[Ads-l] shimmy (shake, climb up/down)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 15 21:05:22 UTC 2019

"Shimmy (up/down)" meaning "climb (up/down)" is covered by Oxford
Dictionaries and American Heritage:

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/shimmy
https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=shimmy

You say that Merriam-Webster is "silent" on this meaning, but it's actually
covered by a cross-reference to "shinny" (def 3). AHD has a usage note on
"shimmy" vs. "shinny":

---
The _shimmy_ is a dance that was popular in the 1920s and is characterized
by rapid shaking of the body. To _shimmy_ means "to shake the body in or as
if in dancing the shimmy." _Shimmy_, possibly an alteration of the word
_chemise_, has no etymological connection to the similar-sounding verb
_shinny_, meaning "to climb by gripping and pulling alternately with the
hands and legs." Recently, however, the verb _shimmy_ has been used to
describe the action of _shinnying_. In addition to their similarity in
sound, the motions described by both verbs involve back-and-forth movements
of the body. It's understandable, then, how this new sense of _shimmy_
arose, and it has gained marginal acceptance by our Usage Panel. In our
2015 survey, 53 percent of the Panelists accepted the sentence _Tania
shimmied up the tree and picked some apples_. Interestingly, only 66
percent of the Panelists accepted the use of _shinny_ in the same sentence,
suggesting that there remains confusion even among wordsmiths over which is
the most appropriate word choice to describe this type of climbing.
However, when it comes to the use of _shinny_ (traditionally "to climb") in
place of _shimmy_ (traditionally "to dance"), the Panelists are resolute in
holding to the traditional meanings, with 97 percent finding the use of
_shinny_ in the sentence _The couple shinnied on the dance floor to the
samba music_ unacceptable.
---

Further discussion from Jan Freeman:

http://throwgrammarfromthetrain.blogspot.com/2015/08/shimmy-makes-its-move.html