[Ads-l] "a red mike" USN/USNA slang

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 21 16:48:39 UTC 2019

ca1909 in Mame Warren & Marion Warren _Everybody Works but John Paul
Jones_  (Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1981) 109: The very few [naval]
cadets who take no part in the hops and other social events are branded
"red [sic] Mikes."

1906 Chauncey M'Govern _Sarjint Larry an' Frinds_  (Manila: Escolta Press)
[glossary] : RED MIKE - Canned salmon.

1920 [U.S. Artillery] _Hicoxy's Army_  [pvtly. ptd.] 33 [ref. to 1918]:
When we weren't picking rusty shell splinters out of our portion of Red
Mike or Monkey Meat, we were continuing to enjoy life.

I don't see the regimental history _Hicoxy's Army_ in WorldCat, but NYPL
had the copy I used.

JL