[Ads-l] "Oxford secret" origin?

Wed Aug 21 19:52:53 UTC 2019

Interesting topic, SG. Excellent match, DanG. Here are some details
for the match together with a link to HathiTrust. I do not see much
evidence that the phrase "Oxford secret" is being used with the
desired sense in the text below.

Date: March 7, 1912
Periodical: The Oxford Magazine
Article: Notes and News
Quote Page 252
Publisher and Printer: Published for the Oxford Magazine Co. Limited
by Horace Hart, Printer to the University

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015024239835
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015024239835?urlappend=%3Bseq=282

[Begin excerpt]
His main objection, however, was to the disclosure of College secrets,
and he denounced as horrible the publishing of matters which should be
the subject of private negotiation.
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
For some little time there have been whispers that important reforms
were contemplated in the Theological Faculty. But as the secret (in
the first instance an Oxford secret) has been divulged at Cambridge to
the press, we may confirm the truth of the rumours. Reforms of an
interesting and far-reaching kind are likely to be introduced soon,
prompted and outlined by the Professors and the other members of the
faculty. The principles of the changes are two: viz. (1) that the
University can no longer undertake to act on behalf of the Church of
England in the character of its official representative ; and (2) that
as there are at present a number of its students who are not members
of the Church of England, but who can, nevertheless, justly claim
access to its highest degrees, such restrictions as exist should be
removed, and it should be clearly understood that the examinations and
degrees are only tests of knowledge and are entirely independent of
membership in any particular religious body.
[End excerpt]

Garson