[Ads-l] "a red mike" USN/USNA slang

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 22 01:01:43 UTC 2019

Homosexuality was so taboo a subject in 1908 that if Annapolis cadets were
using a special term to refer specifically for gay men, it would
undoubtedly have been a lot cruder than "Red Mike," and it wouldn't have
appeared in their yearbook in any case.

Unless I misread history, "woman-hater," rather like "misogynist," didn't
ordinarily carry any specially gay overtones.

JL