[Ads-l] triptych

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Aug 26 19:00:04 UTC 2019

The AAA website still allows you to create your own 'Triptik', giving a route map which is more versatile than the ones created by Google and Bing.

But I doubt it would be helpful to print it out, and I was unsucessful getting it onto my iPhone.

The built-in GPS in our car is still our 'triptik' of choice, but it was helpful in planning a long road trip, since it allowed time estimates for part of day-long legs.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
geoffnathan at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 11:29:38 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: triptych

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

> On Aug 26, 2019, at 1:37 AM, Mark Mandel <markamandel at GMAIL.COM> =
wrote:
>=20
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2019, 8:40 PM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> =
wrote:
>=20
>>> On Aug 25, 2019, at 4:25 PM, Mark Mandel <markamandel at GMAIL.COM> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Not to be confused with the homophonous "Triptik", the AAA's =
(American
>>> Automobile Association) name for their made-to-order detailed
>>> booklet-format maps of recommended routes from a specified point of
>> origin
>>> to a specified destination.
>>>=20
>>> MAM
>>=20
>> Indeed.  Someone in my household used to refer to the AAA route guide =
as a
>> trip-titch, i.e. /trIptItS/, which I assumed involved a spelling
>> pronunciation (of the artist's =E2=80=9Ctriptych=E2=80=9D) followed =
by a conflation. Since
>> everyone has switched to Google Maps or similar software, the issue =
no
>> longer arises.
>>=20
>> LH
>>=20
>=20
> "No longer arises" among people like us in being computer-literate and
> living in areas with reliable wireless internet coverage. I wouldn't =
get
> overly attached to its obsolescence across the whole population.

It=E2=80=99s not the reliable wireless that=E2=80=99s crucial.  There =
was a long interim period in which I used Mapquest to print out my own =
turn-by-turn maps and stapled them together to form a DIY triptik (or =
triptych).  But I take your point.  Still, I wonder how many Triptiks =
AAA makes up these days; I=E2=80=99ll try to remember to ask next time =
I=E2=80=99m picking up road maps from them (which I still like to do). =20=

LH

>=20
> Ii makeup p poop 1-800-259-8008 15 15 9
> 9
> 9
>=20
> 9
>=20
>=20
OK.

LH
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>>=20
>>> =C3=93N up l.p.{1 40099n Sun, Aug 25, 2019, 12:06 PM Barretts Mail <
>> mail.barretts at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>=20
>> writing-tablets, a card that