[Ads-l] Youneverknow.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 1 19:33:17 UTC 2019

Ah, brings back fond memories.  Yes, I recall getting those little
vouchers--less than 1F50, maybe 1F25--when I lived in Paris during my
junior year abroad in 1963-64.  The vouchers actually allowed me to eat in
a choice of "salles à manger universitaires" or whatever the term was,
although perhaps they required a few centimes extra for wine ("un quart de
vin")?  Can't quite recall that part, but I do remember one of them, the
Foyer vietnamien, where I first learned from the papers and leaflets
distributed there about the French colonial occupation, Dien Bien Phu, and
the beginning of the U.S. intervention--back then it was just "military
advisors", but you could tell--or at least the Vietnamese students
could--the direction things were going.
*(It was escalaaaation I know, and it might have ended right then at the
start...) *

LH