[Ads-l] to don

Ben Yagoda byagoda at UDEL.EDU
Sat Dec 14 15:32:49 UTC 2019

I have been noticing this usage in my students' writing for several years and have seen it a couple of times in the press. I speculate that it developed because in this context both “sport” and “wear” are less than ideal—“sport” because it’s old-fashioned and “wear” because it has a much broader meaning than “wearing on a particular occasion.” I also note the roughly parallel development of “rock,” meaning wear a particular clothing item to good effect. Green’s Dictionary of Slang suggests it derives from hip-hop, with the first citation from 1987: "Boogie-Down Productions ‘Elementary’ [lyrics] Always talkin junk, yet in jail, youre rockin dresses [...] Watchin all these females rock their pants too tight.”

Ben