[Ads-l] Antedating of "Trekkie"

Michael Everson everson at EVERTYPE.COM
Fri Feb 1 16:46:48 UTC 2019

Well, perhaps it annoyed some fans at the time, but I (as a fan since 1970 or so) learned about the Trekker/Trekkie “controversy” early in the 70s and could never figure out what the fuss was. I would class myself as a “serious fan” but linguistically I think that “trekker” is an agent noun relevant to hiking and “trekkie” is a Star Trek fan.

It’s a great find. Should we ask Gerrold anything?

Michael Everson
who is responsible for getting 🖖🏻 encoded