[Ads-l] Google Groups (UNCLASSIFIED)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY FUTURES COMMAND (USA) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri Feb 8 22:29:20 UTC 2019

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Google killed search by date in Google Groups (usenet archives) several years ago:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/jp5a77/google-a-search-company-has-made-its-internet-archive-impossible-to-search

This, after it bought Dejanews and other commercial archives of Usenet.

I'm reading on Twitter today that
so apparently google groups helpfully
removed half of their usenet archives at
andom because they may contain
"malicious software"

but NOT TO WORRY, whoever was the
admin of said usenet group back in 1983
can post a request with google to get
their archive reinstated"

I have no hard data, but it has been my impression that Google News Archives (their scanned newspapers) and Google Books both have lost some functionality over the last few years.
CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED