[Ads-l] "my first ask"

Sat Jan 5 02:13:16 UTC 2019

There was a thread about “ask” as a noun back in January 2017 when
Wilson posted:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2017-January/145905.html
[Begin excerpt]
"I do have one final _ask_ of you as your President..."
[End excerpt]

Margaret Winters responded:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2017-January/145906.html

[Begin excerpt]
As a noun, 'ask'  is common in fund-raising/development circles - the
request for a donation.
[End excerpt]

Ben Zimmer shared some links:

[Begin excerpt]
See Arnold Zwicky's 2008 Language Log post:
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=340

...and this one by Eric Bakovic from 2004:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001331.html
[End excerpt]