[Ads-l] "There are no backsies" -- an adult adopt's a feature of children's speech

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 7 20:57:53 UTC 2019

> On Jan 5, 2019, at 8:42 AM, Mark Mandel <Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I've never seen or heard "buttinsky" used in this way, but only referring
> to a person who speaks out of (informal) turn or who pokes into other
> people's issues that are none of their business

Coincidently, yesterday's NYT mag's X-word puzzle had "buttinsky" as a clue
("yenta" was the answer), so, for WI kids anyway, it's a term that's moved
to the adult world, if perhaps not with the same definition.

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 1:30 PM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

> > On Jan 5, 2019, at 8:42 AM, Mark Mandel <Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >
> > I've never seen or heard "buttinsky" used in this way, but only referring
> > to a person who speaks out of (informal) turn or who pokes into other
> > people's issues that are none of their business. I think I've also
> > encountered it in adult speech ("What a buttinsky!").
> >
> > I *do* remember "frontsy-backsy" from growing up in NYC, late '50s -
> early
> > '60s, but not later.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Ditto on all (though, as an elder, I can attest “frontsie(s)-backsie(s)”
> back to the early ‘50s).
>
> LH

> >> We had "no butt-in-skys" when I was a kid.  "No backsies" was more often
> >> "no take-backs".

> that
> >> you
> >> rules.