[Ads-l] "Access: Newspaper Archive" (UNCLASSIFIED)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Thu Jan 24 19:14:05 UTC 2019

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

> There is a danger that hardcopy or superior microfilm scans might be thrown out because a database company inaccurately claims it
> already has the pertinent pages in its database.

This is not just a "danger"; it has been documented to have occurred extensively.  Many hardcopy documents have been lost to history with no useful archives made.  See _Double Fold_ by Nicholson Baker.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Fold-Libraries-Assault-Paper/dp/0375726217/

Another problem is not accuracy, but simple access.

The two libraries with which I am most familiar, the Huntsville AL Public Library and the Redstone Arsenal Scientific Information Center, have disposed of hundreds of linear feet of journals and magazines with the expectation that digitized archives would be sufficient to replace them.  After they lost the paper copies, the subscription fees to the digital archives went up and became too expensive to keep.  So now there is a great deal of information that is unavailable which, ten years ago, you could have pulled off the shelf.
CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED