[Ads-l] prescriptivism problem

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 27 21:46:14 UTC 2019

It came to me just as I was leaving the house. Lewis to Tolkien; I think
the nickname was of a type often in use in Oxbridge:

*Distinguō, Tollers, distinguō!*

I always thought this was a specialized use of distinguō, normally
'distinguish, differentiate between', to mean 'disagree'; it may well be,
but Lewis & Short <
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3Ddistinguo>
don't list it.

Collegis suis scripsit Marcus Mandelensis