[Ads-l] Interesting Headline

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 29 10:54:47 UTC 2019

Unless I'm missing something, this hyphen doesn't implement a stress
distinction, but a semantic distinction between homographs, in this case
nearly antonymous. I know I've seen such use of hyphens, including with
*re-*, but the specifics escape me at this hour. The most remarkable hyphen
disambiguation I've seen is *singe-r*, a tool for singeing the edges of
fabrics. I can't find an example on the web, which floods a search with
"singer" hits, though I did find an interesting cousin at
<https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/empire-beard-singe39r/241818/>:

Empire Beard Singe'r
Style: Amber Ale
Brewed by Empire