[Ads-l] double/triple-dog dare

Mon Jul 1 01:05:30 UTC 2019

Barry Popik has an entry with information from Dictionary of American
Regional English and various citations for variant expressions.
Barry's first citation is in 1891.

Entry from June 12, 2009
Double Dog Dare (Triple Dog Dare)
https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/double_dog_dare_triple_dog_dare

Here is "double dog dare you" in 1889.

Date: February 22, 1889
Newspaper: The Chanute Blade
Newspaper Location: Chanute, Kansas
Article: Bob Rowley's Troubles (Chapter 7)
Author: Robert Everleigh
Quote Page 1, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Charlie made a mark on the ground and said, "I double dog dare you to
cross that line."
Bob promptly stepped across, then stepped back and said, "Now, I dog
dare you to cross."
[End excerpt]

Escalation is a natural process. Here is "double, triple, quadruple
dare you" without the "dog" in 1901.