[Ads-l] the Good News Bad News joke routine

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sun Jul 7 12:20:21 UTC 2019

> On Jun 27, 2019, at 11:48 PM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> From the Cincinnati Enquirer, October 11, 1942, section 3, page 7, Syd Skolsky's Hollywood, crediting a cartoon in the Mexican magazine, Rumbo.
> "What's new?"
> "I have some good news and some bad news."
> "What's the good news?"
> "Hitler has been murdered."
> "And what's the bad news?"
> "The news that Hitler was murdered is not true."

thanks to Peter for this cite, which is currently the earliest occurrence of the joke formula attested (though it feels like it's already an established routine). i'll add this to my blog posting.

arnold

(others found much more recent occurrences on the net, or antecedents to the joke formula in various expressions of the idea that the news is mixed, there's a good side and a bad side to much of it, etc., which i was aware of and was specifically not asking about.)