[Ads-l] “Neutrality”

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 19 19:40:15 UTC 2019

We've been through this before.

Why would I care?

Except that I'd have been told  to.

Around 1979, about when the "neutrality" craze began, I asked the women in
my class how many found generic "man" to be sexist.  Only two out of about
a dozen. When asked, their reason was that a high-school English teacher
had told them so.

Several years later, I tried it on another class, and the objections were
unanimous.

BTW, no female journeyman will see her pay raised or find herself safer
from predators by changing the word.

JL