[Ads-l] "Love It or Leave It" antedating

Sat Jul 20 19:48:17 UTC 2019

Charles C Doyle wrote:
> The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs (2012), page 152,
> gives a slightly earlier quotation (the same quotation) reported
> in the Chicago Tribune (2 Aug. 1921), which illustrates the
> jingoistic use of the saying.  The dictionary gives two earlier
> uses (1901 and 1905-06) in reference to farming as a vocation.

Great work, Charlie et al. Here is a citation for "love it or leave
it" applied to the teaching profession in 1890. This might be
considered  a precursor because the full statement includes a
prepositional phrase.

[ref] 1890 August, Ingall's Home Magazine, The Practical Side of Art
by Kate Kauffman, Start Page 413, Quote Page 413, Column 2, J. F.
Ingalls, Lynn, Massachusetts. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=vLsaAQAAMAAJ&q=%22ought+to+love%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Now if a woman is free, she has the whole range of activities to
choose from. I have no patience with the girl who teaches school and
says she hates it. She ought to love it, or leave it for some one who
does. There is an exquisite Art in governing forty small persons, in
keeping the school-room attractive with sweetness and beauty, in
filling each little pupil with pride in himself and his surroundings.
[End excerpt]

Garson