[Ads-l] Berkeley and gender neutral words

Alice Faber afaber at PANIX.COM
Sun Jul 21 00:31:28 UTC 2019

On 7/20/19 4:13 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Is there any pre-craze empirical evidence that women in general found such
> words demeaning, offensive, sexist, or the like?

Actually, there is. I don't remember the citation, but back when I
taught intro linguistics and psycholinguistics, there was a study we
discussed where the experimental task was to find pictures in magazines
to illustrate specific words. When participants were finding pictures of
firefighters, mail carriers, flaggers and the like they were more likely
to select pictures of women than when they were finding pictures of
firemen, mailmen, flagmen, etc. These participants may well have claimed
not to think of the latter as inherently gendered terms, but they
certainly acted as if they were.

AF