[Ads-l] "What do you mean we, paleface / white man / kemo sabe?"

Mon Jun 3 06:16:26 UTC 2019

Here is another citation in 1956 that appeared about a month after the
citation Bill found. Arthur Godfrey broadcast the joke on his morning
television program. (The text is ambiguous; he also hosted a radio
program.)

Date: September 23, 1956
Newspaper: Sunday News (Daily News)
Newspaper Location: New York, New York
Article: Laughs from the Air
Author: George Maksian
Section 2, Quote Page 17, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[End excerpt]
Arthur Godfrey was amused by this rib-tickler and repeated it for his
CBS audience the other morning: The Lone Ranger and Tonto were riding
along the plains when suddenly they saw some 500 Sioux Indians heading
towards them. They turned around only to find hundreds of Apaches. To
the left and to the right were the same. Then the Masked Man turned to
his faithful companion and said, "Well, Tonto, I guess we've had it."
"What do you mean WE--white man" the Indian indignantly responded.
[Begin excerpt]

There are several citations in 1957. The following interesting
citation used the variant phrase "'What do you mean by 'us'" instead
of "What do you mean 'we'".